33.gif

Search (advanced search)
Use this Search form before posting, asking or make a new thread.
Tips: Use Quotation mark to search words (eg. "How To Make Money Online")

04-05-2015, 10:07 AM
RE: Getty Images copyright infringement
(03-26-2015 03:30 PM)nicdic Wrote:  I got nailed by them for $500, I ran a feed off a reputable mag site (1 picture), the mag site didn't get nailed but I did.

That's almost exactly the situation with my first encounter. I've lost the bookmark to the site that quoted the court case, but according to the outcome of that case, they did not have a legitimate claim against you. The slimy bastards totally ripped you off and they knew it. These feeds are an important method of keeping fresh material on our sites, but we have no control what other people put on their sites. The court recognized that there has to be some finite end to the responsibility we bear.

I ran for cover, but richardhertz' advice would have probably kept that $500 in your pocket. It's a shame that we should feel compelled do research ahead of time to defend ourselves, just in case we ever get harassed and threatened, but that's what it's come to.
04-05-2015, 10:15 AM
(04-04-2015 06:23 AM)gixxer2012 Wrote:  Cant you just take the image in photoshop or gimp, put it on a new blank layer and save it, that should i think take out their copyright tracking? before you put it on any site.

I am not exactly sure of the process (richardhertz might be able to answer it), but it's more than tracking an embedded copyright or watermark. I think they actually scan images and have some matching technology. If points in your image match exact points to their image, it triggers their image capture of your web page and goes to the legal department.
04-05-2015, 12:59 PM
(03-05-2015 10:44 AM)keithoz88 Wrote:  Relax mate.
Many years ago i worked in the publishing industry here in Oz
and one day i discovered a clever scam being run by a guy in a sister company.
After a few beers he told me that if you send out 100 false invoices for advertising run,
on average at least one will just send a cheque (slack accounting) and at least a few will ring requesting original invoice copy sent (easy to fake).
So the average was 1 in 50 paid up. Kept it small and simple.
Unfortunately he operated on the principle that there's a mug born every minute and his
job was to find them! lol
He got the idea from an American.
Moral of story: make sure you're not one of those mugs :)
Sweet and Simple. Best Advice Posted on a Forum.
04-05-2015, 07:20 PM
Getty Images copyright infringement
Also, you can do a Google search for "free image websites".

I use pixabay.com quite a lot also.
04-27-2015, 09:09 PM
(04-05-2015 10:15 AM)rocky12 Wrote:  
(04-04-2015 06:23 AM)gixxer2012 Wrote:  Cant you just take the image in photoshop or gimp, put it on a new blank layer and save it, that should i think take out their copyright tracking? before you put it on any site.

I am not exactly sure of the process (richardhertz might be able to answer it), but it's more than tracking an embedded copyright or watermark. I think they actually scan images and have some matching technology. If points in your image match exact points to their image, it triggers their image capture of your web page and goes to the legal department.

Companies write software that uses facial recognition technology algorithms to determine a fingerprint of an image. This fingerprint is then used to search the internet using bots to find images similar to the ones in copyright inventory. Adding a blank layer or cropping an image does not defeat the bot searching for copied images. Even adding text or modifying (photoshopping) the image does not defeat the system. Companies like
Code:
http://www.picscout.com/
sell their services to companies like Getty to find unlicensed images and make life hell for folks not willing to stand up for their rights.
69.gif

83.gif