80.gif

Search (advanced search)
Use this Search form before posting, asking or make a new thread.
Tips: Use Quotation mark to search words (eg. "How To Make Money Online")

05-19-2019, 05:56 PM (This post was last modified: 05-19-2019 05:56 PM by Lumos.)
Thumbs Up An amazing OS for anyone brave enough to use Linux !!
Most likely this one is a total unknown, even for most Linux users.
I found it back in 2014, and have checked on it time and again since then.
It has gotten to the point of really being finely polished and should be quite easy to use for anyone, even if you need a friend to help installing it to start with.

This one does it all - really - seriously - not joking even a wee bit.
(And all for free ?? Wow.)

As an OS - it has about everything already included that anyone could possibly want, an almost unbelievable bunch of apps.

For social media users - it includes a Twitter desktop app, a FB Messenger app, and it also has Telegram Desktop, and Skype.

But that is not all, want Android apps on your PC ?? OK, its got that;
Want windows apps to run inside Linux ?? No biggie for most apps, AND;
For anything really demanding this OS is totally ready to run your VMs.

Example (my favourite):
It has VMWare Workstation Pro installed and ready to use - fuggedaboud the 250 smackers they would hit you up for, OK ?!?
(And for Virtualbox lovers...it has that too.)

The result of it being so amazingly complete is that the 'mainline' release of it is 9.5GB - but to offset that, they point you to a truly great Linux download tool that will get all the parts and reassemble it into an ISO very quickly. (I got it in an evening using my Linux box.)
It needs a big media to either run live or install from - lucky I have a 32GB USB stick, and using Etcher it was ready to use in minutes.

For the monster that is is, this OS is very quick and nimble too, I put it onto an older box that only has a dual core Athlon 5000 CPU and 4GB RAM, and it is quite snappy !!

It goes by either Adyah or PrathamOS, and has a load of screenshots, here:
Code:
http://prathamos.minus1by12.com/Adyah.html

SF page here:
Code:
https://sourceforge.net/projects/getprathamos/

Here is their YT channel:
Code:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCaDMqjyHcDvcRxSSgcY9m8w/videos

DL page here:
Code:
http://prathamos.minus1by12.com/#download

It has a super easy installer too.
Just boot the live USB, and the desktop has just that installer icon - when you open it, it talks you through the entire process and is very cute.
The only hardships I had with it are kind of silly:
There's like 20 icons in the panel - each filled with ALOT of apps, I had a need to use Gparted, so I needed the root PW, which is less than obvious...

Here - I'll make THAT really simple for you:
Code:
LIVE Environment Password: Primary@123

After it is installed and you reboot into it, it is mind blowing to see how much it has that is ready to use - and if desired, you can use its built in updater to get even more, newer stuff for it.

I hope some folks here are the brave sorts who enjoy Linux and will give this one a spin !!
I totally despise board spammers and spambots !!!
05-20-2019, 08:11 AM
RE: An amazing OS for anyone brave enough to use Linux !!
Smith ... You got my undivided attention Thanks

... will give this one a spin ... just to take the adobe super sh-IT overhead heat off my nerves Happydance
05-20-2019, 10:23 AM
Great share, nice linux distro, thank you my brother ;)
More FREE courses? Get the browser extension shared in my profile! (created by Patrick0 and highly recommended by angelcrc7)
https://bestblackhatforum.com/User-angelcrc7

angelcrc7
05-20-2019, 12:34 PM (This post was last modified: 05-20-2019 12:37 PM by Lumos.)
Thumbs Up RE: An amazing OS for anyone brave enough to use Linux !!
Thanks for replying here folks !!

Just a few things to add...
Most of the PC users in the world are quite oblivious to the simple fact that Linux has been the dominant OS in this world since the internet became so popular because most servers run Linux, AND - that 90% of smartphones are Linux based !!

So why do lots of folks not even know about Linux ??
Go to any site or store selling PCs - any with Linux sitting there ?? Nope.
Why would joe average know (or care) that most of the sites he visits so much are all on Linux servers ?? Of course he doesn't !!
Lastly, how many folks hear 'Android' and think 'Oh yeah, that's Linux too.' ??
Pretty much none most likely.

I must also add that I still do also use win-doze, but I stopped any newness for it at XP SP2.
This is simply because I can use easily XP endlessly as a guest OS via a VM.
This is done via the host OS of Linux, of course - and XP runs better that way than it ever did natively.
And when (not IF) it screws up - I can just re-start the VM and presto - good as new.

Then comes the confusion between Linux as an entire family of OSes, vs. all the cousins, aunts and uncles known as 'distros' - which are just someone's idea of how it should be tweaked up.
The most used distro worldwide is Ubuntu because it is the most well spread around; another very popular distro is named 'Linux Mint', and lots of win-doze refugees try that as their switching over to Linux OS.
I have not been very impressed with Mint, just because it refused many times to install on my older test PC, and also that it simply doesn't suit me the best.

Now, just to be 100% clear about the distro I posted about here=>
PrathamOS is not yet (and may not be for some time...) my daily driver OS.
This is because it is a bit too 'stuffed' for my preferences.
I will keep it at hand though, and prune it down to a slimmer shape better suited for my daily uses.

Still - it is a very worthwhile OS to get and the devs have done a magnificent work in making it !!
05-20-2019, 03:35 PM
Pretty cool reading the history and changes throughout its inception. They've really put a lot of work into this. I haven't seen this one before but it looks pretty impressive. I'll give it a spin on a spare machine sometime. I'm currently running a dual-boot windows 10/ubuntu for technical projects. I did create a live multiboot usb to give different systems a test drive for some of my other machines.

In case anyone was curious this distro is based on Debian with the a customized XFCE desktop. It looks like it can be a pretty big install, but they're also bringing a lot of features to the table.

Thanks for the suggestion smithnowt! +reps
70.gif
06-07-2019, 02:48 PM
Slight update about this OS...
I am sad to report that after some weeks with this I am disappointed, here's why:
- Their updater is broken, because it does not point to any active downloads, though they do exist;
- There is no other practical way to get the updates;
- Until this is fixed, a bunch of stuff that this OS claims to have onboard...isn't;
- Their domains have changed causing much confusion;
(For example, their support email dead-ends and bounces as the domain does not exist...)
- They do not answer emails asking for help via their other email and domain.

Since I do enjoy 'playing' with Linux in general, I'll keep this around in some form, but only when they are reachable will I consider using it more.
Until it gets ALL its parts it cannot replace my daily driver Linux OS.
06-08-2019, 04:53 AM
I've been following this thread with interest, even downloaded the install file. Haven't had a chance to install it yet...and probably won't until the project comes back online - if it does.

Still, always interesting to hear about the latest Linux iteration. Keep 'em coming!
06-08-2019, 12:24 PM (This post was last modified: 06-08-2019 12:25 PM by Lumos.)
Thumbs Up RE: An amazing OS for anyone brave enough to use Linux !!
Hi Arnie and thanks for replying here !!
I always keep my eyes open for distros which meet or exceed my preferences - have for many years already - and very few actually 'do the trick'.
My primary demand for any OS considered for my daily usage is that it have a version that is made in classic desktop fashion right out of the box - which most do not have.

The one mentioned here IS impressive just as it is and would be even more so if the devs would give it a bit of attention.

Seems like it is mostly a hobby OS for them - and I'd even make a small donation if their support email wasn't dead, but as it is, too bad for them.

This one IS worthy of installing - even just to check it out because it is so very different from most others both in content and execution.

Another that I've dabbled with in the past is the zorinOS - and be advised that I do not recommend it...just mentioning it.
The Zorin brothers have gone after the crowd of folks who think that PC OSes should look and work like a win-doze phone...yuck !!
To get the classic type OS theme of theirs one must buy it for ~$39, ad that just ain't happening here, EVER.
They do offer a free/basic version, but it lacks the ONE feature that is an absolute must for me.
Might be they've changed this part as well=> but their DL for this HUGE ISO was a real nightmare and only via restricted FTP last time I looked at it.
They have just come out with a new version which has gotten good reviews at itsfoss and linuxinsider, but that particular facet of it is not mentioned.

Lastly I'll mention RoboLinux.
It is supposed to be and do some amazing stuff - but I've never bothered to try it.
This is because it is partially payware and ALL done via confusing web pages sprinkled with nags to pay them - so it is hard to even tell what is free vs. what is not.
Too much headache for me to bother with.
06-08-2019, 12:30 PM (This post was last modified: 06-09-2019 10:24 AM by ArnieAbrams.)
Thanks for the info and update. I am making the trip AGAIN (first time was over 15 years ago) from Whendoze to Linux. Difference is there are now an amazing number of support forums for specific distros, topics, fetishes, and code - versus in the 90s when you basically had to roll-your-own.

Now there are YouTube channels basically holding your hand while you do a fairly complex install step-by-step. Free. Sweet!

Let us know if you find anything else weird and/or amazing in Linux-land! Repped ya!
06-12-2019, 06:05 PM
Hello Arnie and Thanks again !!

As it happens, I just ran across another interesting distro - haven't tested it though as I've found my best choice distro - but this IS interesting.

Its claims to fame:
Quote:A simple operating system for everyone, able run on any machine
Enso is designed with simplicity in mind, keeping the design and system to a minimum to enable you to run the tasks you need
No spyware is included in Enso, and never will be! We believe in freedom and privacy
Built on Linux, Enso is able to run on nearly any machine that exists, including those that are no longer supported by Windows or Mac

Home site:
Code:
http://enso-os.site/

Enso-0.3.1.iso - 1.0GB - here:
Code:
https://svwh.dl.sourceforge.net/project/enso-os/Enso-0.3.1/Enso-0.3.1.iso

Or via this page:
Code:
https://sourceforge.net/projects/enso-os/files/

Could be worth taking for a spin, 'specially if one has an older machine which has perfectly good h/w.

If anyone gives this a try, please post here with your thoughts ?!?
51.gif

26.gif