Best Blackhat Forum

Full Version: PowerMTA config help
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Can anybody help me configure PowerMTA's virtual mtas in a way that email is sent from several IPs?
Also, I would like to learn how to limit email sending rate from each IP for each domain..

Any tip or advice for PowerMTA?
I have it + SPF + DKIM but it is sending email from the main IP only. I have not tested it for sending to big lists though. Does it change the IPs automatically after X emails or do I have to configure it?

Thanks.
[Image: 1.png][b]krishparmar83[Image: 1.png] [/b] This guy can help you , Check his signature :)
You don't really need to rotate ips with powermta. You need to configure each domain/ip as a virtual MTA. Then set the pattern-list in the config so that way whenever you setup a campaign to mail from domain1.com it will send from the correlating vmta.

If you're insistent on rotating ips within PowerMTA (I don't really recommend this as it's better to allow each vmta to mail from its own reputation), but you can setup the vmtas as a 'pool' and it will rotate among the vmtas that you've pooled together in the config.
(11-18-2012 11:46 AM)stiffler Wrote: [ -> ][Image: 1.png][b]krishparmar83[Image: 1.png] [/b]This guy can help you , Check his signature :)
Hi krishparmar83,
Thanks, I sent him a private message (:
(11-19-2012 02:35 AM)zilla Wrote: [ -> ]You don't really need to rotate ips with powermta. You need to configure each domain/ip as a virtual MTA. Then set the pattern-list in the config so that way whenever you setup a campaign to mail from domain1.com it will send from the correlating vmta.

If you're insistent on rotating ips within PowerMTA (I don't really recommend this as it's better to allow each vmta to mail from its own reputation), but you can setup the vmtas as a 'pool' and it will rotate among the vmtas that you've pooled together in the config.
Hi Zilla,
If you're saying that rotating IPs is not recommendable, then I won't rotate them.

Let me just see if I understood.
So it is better to have like, 1 IP only for sending to Hotmail, 1 IP only for Yahoo, 1 IP only to AOL and etc ??
Then, I have to set limits for each IP, a.g. 400/hr for Hotmail, 500/hr for Yahoo and so on.. right?

But I thought PowerMTA was supposed to work this way:
Send 300 email per hour to Hotmail from an IP. When that IP reaches its limitation of 300 emails/hr for Hotmail, then it starts sending emails from another IP to Hotmail until it reaches the limitation of 300 emails per hour again, and so on.

Is there a way to make it work that way???

Thank you.
You don't need to segment your list with PowerMTA. It will backoff when it's hit the remote servers limits automatically when you have it configured properly.

My opinion about the IP rotation is this - You have 1 IP sending x amount of email, that ip is attached to a domain - when you rotate the ip with the same domain name you're still mailing under that domain - whether using another IP or not.

Why does this matter?

Because if your domain get's blacklisted it will affect any IP address that it is mailing from it. When you set up a "pool" in PowerMTA, it rotates the vmta which when it changes will change the domain too (assuming that you use different domains as sub.domains are pointless for anyone that is mailing here because chances are you're not mailing your own opt-in list which is an entire different discussion)

As an example;

You configure vmta 1, 2 and 3 in a pool. You setup a campaign and mail-from user@domain1.com (which is attached to vmta1.com) when you send out that campaign the mail-from will be domain1.com, but then in that same campaign you will have some mails that have domain2.com and domain3.com (even though domain1.com will always be in the header, some of the emails will have the others too) depending on which vmta it was sent from. This can be traced(snowshoe sbl) to one server and will get multiple ips and domains blacklisted faster, then if you were just mailing from lets say domain1.com. This way spamtraps or whatever you hit when mailing from domain1.com won't affect the mail sent from domain2.com so easily.

I get pm's every single day from people asking about PowerMTA and I have to strongly insist that ANYONE serious about using it, needs to read the manual front to back. I've installed this particular MTA on about 100+ servers and STILL myself go back and RTFM again and again... I hope this sheds a little insight.
Hey man,

I've configured a single vMta and all my ips are assigned to it.
As it's written on the manual - when you send through this vMta the ips are rotated automatically (checked).
If you have further questions, hit me up on skype: zilovich1

ZIlo.
@zilovich, you realize it doesn't matter how many ips that you're sending from if your 1 domain on the vmta gets blacklisted right?
@Zilla, I change domains once in a while so I dont have this problem.
LOL you change your domains but not your IPs? How productive do you think that will be? :p
Thanks for recommending my name..brother..+rep...check my signature.
(11-18-2012 11:46 AM)stiffler Wrote: [ -> ][img]/images/stars/1.png[/img][b]krishparmar83[img]/images/stars/1.png[/img] [/b] This guy can help you , Check his signature :)
Pages: 1 2
Reference URL's