18.gif

Search (advanced search)
Use this Search form before posting, asking or make a new thread.
Tips: Use Quotation mark to search words (eg. "How To Make Money Online")

03-19-2017, 07:35 AM (This post was last modified: 03-20-2017 12:11 PM by Lumos.)
Thumbs Up (SOLVED) Help, please ??
More info about what I found and now using posted below...
I do not wish to offend or break any rules here - not trying to rip off Udemy either as I am enrolled and have paid for courses there.

Here is what I am asking:
In the past I have bought several Udemy courses and also got into some free ones.
Problem is - I am too broke to buy a new PC and when I try to use them my browser locks up and crashes very soon.
Restarting things and then trying to resume also mostly fails as my connection is also too slow, apparently.
So I'd like to download the videos to use offline somehow

I have searched and found info saying to use IDM (which I do not have) or the FF extension Ant Video Downloader - which I have not tried yet.
Some info also mentions Chrome, which runs so slowly on my old PC that I cannot use it.

Will anyone here point me to any better way to do this, if there is any, please ??

Thanks.
I totally despise board spammers and spambots !!!
03-19-2017, 07:53 PM
RE: Help, please ??
Hello Mr. (or Mrs/Ms?) Smith Lol,

I also have an older machine. So here is my work flow, I hope it makes sense and helps.

When in the udemy course, I select all text on page and copy it into a text file, so that I can name my videos uniformly and in order (1, 2, 3)

I use firefox browser. There are many extensions you can try.

VLC video player is what I use.

Not saying this is the best way, maybe I should use a download manager, or something, haha - but I like to keep my files organized. Let me know if I did not make sense, I seem to be in a window of incoherence at present.
03-20-2017, 03:06 AM
Thanks Again One !!
Getting the Udemy videos for offline use has proven to be quite a challenge.
There's a bazillion things pointing in all directions about doing that, but:
Having tried a few of those I can say that none of them worked.

The only way I got most of a course for offline use in the past was with the Android app on a 1/2 busted old tablet with bad wifi - had to be reverse tethered to get internet.
The app allowed the download of the paid course to the device and I then got the videos into my old PC via My Phone Explorer which works very well for that.
But keeping the internet connection was really the problem with that method and after all the time it ate up I didn't want to do that again !!

To the present now=>
Since I posted here I found a really amazing, free command line only tool that seems to work flawlessly - still testing it as its quit on me a few times and had to be re-opened...

Anyhow - since I don't know if it is OK to post the info openly about it here, for now if you want that info I will be happy to share it via PM.
(I'm too new here to risk breaking rules that I may have misunderstood accidentally !!)
03-20-2017, 10:18 AM
I hope you are getting on ok, then, although I suspect that I may be older than you, since I still don't know the term "reverse tethered" and have not yet owned a mobile phone of any sort Blush

To increase your confidence level, you can (and should as I did) read the "sticky" posts about forum policies, but no, don't worry about mentioning names of softwares, I think you are referring to "flashget" or something?

The one that I use now is "Video DownloadHelper", but there are others - this seems to work best for me so far.

If I may suggest, and I don't know if I'm right, but it is just me. I don't spend much time with Udemy courses (although I will confess to be enrolled in perhaps almost 2000 of them). I do have a lot of stuff that I downloaded here and elsewhere, over 95 percent of which is just "stuff" (I hate the word "junk", I would make a good librarian or archivist).

Find an interest, the simpler the better, that can do what you need to make money. Organize the steps (mindmap software is essential!). Maybe feel around, try different things, see what works for you.

What are your machine spec's? (year of manufacture, ram, disk space)
03-20-2017, 11:08 AM
Hi One and thanks again for replying !!
My particular leanings may be a bit different than your own - but the librarian aspect is a good fit with me as well for sure.

As to ages - most likely best covered by saying 'us old guys should stick together !!'.

I only got into Android lately because it is a Linux variant - and I found I was able to get devices to tinker on as hand-me-downs and even as low as $5, so I did.

My daily driver PC is so old now that I am just putting off giving it a memorial service for as long as possible...and what comes next will be Linux based with windows ONLY as a VM, if that much.

I eventually want to dabble a bit in some coding - but 1st I must find ways to get some $.
So:
Having the Udemy content that I paid for, for those efforts for offline use allows me to easily replay whatever I couldn't hear well from any point quickly - kind of like speed reading in video if you will...and I only bought several and got a couple of free ones when offered by them - which I want on-hand for that mystical day that I 'have time'.

Yes, this is my current aim, well described, thank you:
Quote:Find an interest, the simpler the better, that can do what you need to make money.

I merely need to discipline myself to make it happen - wading through a great deal of info to zero in on the 'what' part is very time consuming.

Back to what I asked about in the OP:
The great thing I found for the Udemy courses I wanted for offline use seems OK to share from what you've said, so here are the links:
https://nishad.github.io/udemy-dl-windows/
https://github.com/nishad/udemy-dl

It is for the command line only and kind of fiddly, but it does work pretty well.

Its command to open is best to make up in advance (notepad ??) then paste it in to a CLI window.

The tool uses something called aria2c (that didn't work for me a'tall...) sort of by default unless you tell it not to, here's an example of what I mean:
Code:
udemy-dl -u (your email) -p (your PW) -o C:/courses/udemy/ -d curl https://www.udemy.com/course_name/learn/v/content

That tells it to use curl instead - if you omit the -d curl it tries aria2c and might use wget after making a scary looking error message - I had to remove aria2c.exe for it to get past the error; now it just gripes and keeps going if no downloader is specified.

It uses the URL from the 'course content' tab, and its 1st step is getting that list - if you see it doing that it confirms it is working.

For me it would go a while, then quit and just sit there - and after waiting a bit I'd close it and start it again with the same command - it would find the existing files and do some more, etc..
The stopping may be because of my connection though, I don't know for sure.

Best Wishes.
30.gif
03-20-2017, 11:53 AM
It sounds like you got it going on, and not unlike me you need to get it going. I believe you have what you need inside. Maybe, if you are like me, and I if am not wrong, we both need to "just do these things" and "quit worrying about detail"?

Good, it sounds like you are another linux user. I use Voyager, a variant of xubuntu.

For a VM, I "highly" recommend VMware workstation. PM me if you need it and instructions for linux (linux as host, obviously). I tried Virtual Box (I think it is called that) and it just had problems, i.e. connecting to internet etc.

"stick together" is true, we'll do that.

The bottle-neck that I perceive seems to be your machine, although I have no idea. For all I know you might surpass me in performance and have a 4 or 16 core processor. Having said that, I like what you say, and want to help in so little much as a fellow can.
03-20-2017, 12:10 PM
Thanks Again One !!
In reply I have sent you a PM as I think discussion between us within things of mutual interest will do better directly, if that will suit you ??

Best Wishes.

30.gif