61.gif

Search (advanced search)
Use this Search form before posting, asking or make a new thread.
Tips: Use Quotation mark to search words (eg. "How To Make Money Online")

06-05-2018, 02:52 AM
Phone call from Microsoft Licensing Team - a scam or for real?
I got a voicemail from someone claiming to be from the Microsoft Licensing Team this morning, in regards to a license verification. They are asking for the "person who oversees IT and software licensing" who would be me. Not sure if it's legit or not. I have copies of Windows 7 and Office 2013 but that's all, that I came across years ago.
Not sure if it's a scam or not, or whether I should call them back. Anyone have any info on this or responded to such a call?
06-06-2018, 07:13 PM
RE: Phone call from Microsoft Licensing Team - a scam or for real?
My guess is, and it is only a guess, that it is a scam. Here in the U.K. we get a massive amount of scam calls supposedly from our Broadband providers or saying there is a problem with our Microsoft programs being infected. They always ask to be given access to our computers to sort out the problem for us (there are plenty people dumb enough to fall for that and that includes my step-daughter who rang me in a panic after giving a guy full access then realising what she had done).

I think it is highly unlikely that Microsoft would contact anyone personally as there are ample screen messages etc. to let you know if your licence is valid or not. Besides, there must be literally millions of unlicensed Microsoft software in use and it would not be cost effective to contact all users.

If the voicemail had an Indian voice, it is probably a scam as many of those scams seem to originate from India.

I would just ignore it, but if your curiosity gets the better of you, then beware - if they ask to access your computer, that is definitely a scam.

Only my opinion of course so and I would check the number carefully as another scam involves the call back being to a VERY expensive number to call - check the number to see where it came from and if anyone else has received calls from them (Google search giving just the number should do it).
06-06-2018, 07:15 PM
My guess is, and it is only a guess, that it is a scam. Here in the U.K. we get a massive amount of scam calls supposedly from our Broadband providers or saying there is a problem with our Microsoft programs being infected. They always ask to be given access to our computers to sort out the problem for us (there are plenty people dumb enough to fall for that and that includes my step-daughter who rang me in a panic after giving a guy full access then realising what she had done).

I think it is highly unlikely that Microsoft would contact anyone personally as there are ample screen messages etc. to let you know if your licence is valid or not. Besides, there must be literally millions of unlicensed Microsoft software in use and it would not be cost effective to contact all users.

If the voicemail had an Indian voice, it is probably a scam as many of those scams seem to originate from India.

I would just ignore it, but if your curiosity gets the better of you, then beware - if they ask to access your computer, that is definitely a scam.

Only my opinion of course so and I would check the number carefully as another scam involves the call back being to a VERY expensive number to call - check the number to see where it came from and if anyone else has received calls from them (Google search giving just the number should do it).

Hope this helps.
06-15-2018, 12:39 AM
Thanks. I was a bit suspicious so I did a Google search and nothing came up. Couldn't find the email address in a search either. After a second call, I was a bit concerned, so I called back and told him I just bought a new laptop to replace my old one and it's fully loaded with MS software. Told him he was welcome to check but I wouldn't give him access to it over the phone.
Haven't heard back since. Here is the info he left in case anyone else gets a similar call:
v-latcar@microsoft.com lati carr
678-782-2674
Microsoft licensing team verification
06-17-2018, 12:12 AM
They usually leave the little minnows alone and go after the big barracudas. It does not make economic sense to go after individual users.

Duck search engine just gives the general location: Jonesboro, Clayton County, GA

They don't seem to have an office in the area.

As SlumdogGeordie said, be wary of anyone demanding access to your system.

Cheers,
FFFF
78.gif
06-17-2018, 04:16 AM
I've never heard of individual being asked this so I was curious. A quick google shows quite a few people saying its legit - the v-microsfot mail is given out to vendors doing audits - but this is more likely only really a concern for companies. I might be wrong, but I really doubt microsoft are going to pay outside companies to ring up their individual users and hassle them. Did they say anthing about sending a spreadsheet or anything to fill out?

Anwway, read these replies to the thread: https://community.spiceworks.com/topic/2...-but-isn-t

Key things to remember:

It's not Microsoft, it's an outside company
It's completely optional, you do not have to participate
It's free to you
Nobody will legitimately demand you buy licenses at the end of it
12-03-2018, 01:48 PM
It is a scam. 100% sure
Microsoft never calls anyone. It is an indian scammers grasping a straws as local police cracking down on them over real Microsoft complaint.
12-19-2018, 02:17 AM
(12-03-2018 01:48 PM)bennyb Wrote:  It is a scam. 100% sure
Microsoft never calls anyone. It is an indian scammers grasping a straws as local police cracking down on them over real Microsoft complaint.

Think about it folks...when was the last time EVER in your life to date that Microsoft thought your insignificant little self was worth their time?

Never?

I didn't think so either.

WW

24.gif