79.gif

Search (advanced search)
Use this Search form before posting, asking or make a new thread.
Tips: Use Quotation mark to search words (eg. "How To Make Money Online")

12-29-2015, 07:09 AM
[GET] What a Way to Live and Make a Living: The Lyman P. Wood Story Roger M. Griffith [1 eBook (PDF)]
What a Way to Live and Make a Living: The Lyman P. Wood Story - Roger M. Griffith

Another classic that will inspire you. - NC
btw - this is posted in relation to this thread, which you should check out for even more inspiration and motivation:

http://bestblackhatforum.com/Thread-GET-...ossman-pdf

Starting a business? Looking for more satisfaction in life? This biography of mail order genius and visionary Lyman Wood is full of ideas, tips, anecdotes and good advice. Founder of Garden Way, pioneer of socially responsible business practices, mentor to hundreds, Lyman Wood was a unique and fascinating man. This very readable book is generously illustrated with pictures and ads from his 60 year career in mail order advertising.

[Image: snap.jpg]

How Would You Like To Have...

- A business of your own you could start in spare time with very little money, and almost no risk?

- A business that could get as big as you want, in time?

- A business you could run wherever you wanted to live?

- Perhaps a mail order business?

- A business that would be good not only for you, but for your customers, your employees, your community and your planet?

If yes, you will love this book Roger Griffith has written about Lyman Wood, the Vermont marketer cited by the Governor for creating $500 million a year of new industry for that state.

It is the fascinating story of how Wood did all of the above and a lot more, and it's loaded with how-to you could use.

Lyman Wood set goals for himself and never forgot them. His goals were simple: He wanted to enjoy life in the country and make money through mail order. He has done both, tells you how he did it, and will make you want to try.

Reviews:

"This is one of the greatest marketing books ever written. It's a biography of a mail order marketing genius, and a whole lot more!

Mr. Wood, who began his career at the J. Walter Thompson Advertising Agency, has played a major role in starting many successful companies - Garden Way Troy Bilt(, Country Home Products, Soundview Executive Summaries, National Gardening Association, and many others. This wonderful book presents a step-by-step blueprint on how you can achieve marketing success, using the experience and wisdom of a great marketing mind.

At 85 years young (and still going strong!) Lyman P. Wood is an inspiration to all. Buy this one-of-a-kind book, and discover Lyman's winning formulas - how to write great ads, how to get the most out of your mailings - a 4-step powerful process to test any ad before you run it - how to start small and grow big - plus much more!" -- Russ von Hoelscher in his Newsletter in 1995

--

I read the book for the first time several years ago. Since then I've kept in on my desk to refer back to for practical advice about starting and running my internet business.

Much of Lyman's wisdom and insight into the mail order business is directly applicable to developing e-commerce sites for business customers: writing copy that stirs the reader to take action, measuring and testing the results of each ad, starting small and growing the business out of the profits it generates are a few of many gems he practiced.

In the book, his passion for doing what he loved, from a place that he loved, with people that he loved was inspirational to me. When I met him in person, he was also a great encouragement to me.

I'd recommend this book to anyone interested in in "Making a life" while making a living.

--

What a refreshing way to learn! Quite different from the often boring textbook approach so common with marketing books. This semi-autobiography reads like a novel, but teaches direct response advertising through example and life experiences.

Just starting out, in his second project, he acquired over 450,000 customers! (and those are repeat customers at that). He knew what he was doing. Plenty of wise advice in there. You can learn from his mistakes and successes.

I plowed through 1/2 the book in no time. By then I realized that the reading experience would be over too soon. So I shelved the rest of the book for a treat later on. (So technically this review is only for the first 1/2 of the book). This book is like candy. I got to ration it out before it's gone ;-)

--

Here's the wonderful story of a man who set himself a goal--to live in the country--then figured out a way to earn a GREAT living to support that goal. Lyman Wood is (is he still alive?) a direct marketing/mail order pioneer who spent 60 years or so selling everything from $400 Roto Tillers to PRAYERS by mail. He also worked as an advertising and marketing consultant from his rural home. The stories in this book are inspiring AND instructional. This is a book filled with passion. It's not just biographical, it's "how-to." And best of all, it's FUN to read! I recommend it very highly to would-be entrepreneurs and to those frustrated entrepreneurs who occasionally need a "lift."

Get It:
Mirror Links:
Magic Button :
Code:
http://mir.cr/O3CCIPRP
BestBlackHatForum Link:
Show some love Heart and add some rep, stand on your head, discuss it, bake up a review etc.
12-29-2015, 10:11 AM
RE: [GET] What a Way to Live and Make a Living: The Lyman P. Wood Story Roger M. Griffith [1 eBook (PDF)]
Amazing book, got it in paperback when I saw you mention it in another thread, really fueled the desire within. Makes you think - if old Lyman was doing all this back when there were no computers, how much would he be killing it now?
12-29-2015, 11:15 AM
RE: [GET] What a Way to Live and Make a Living: The Lyman P. Wood Story Roger M. Grif...
(12-29-2015 10:11 AM)thedrizzle Wrote:  Amazing book, got it in paperback when I saw you mention it in another thread, really fueled the desire within. Makes you think - if old Lyman was doing all this back when there were no computers, how much would he be killing it now?
Excellent!

Yeah, he would be quietly raking it in online for sure. He would love it for the niche research alone.

I've been running various online businesses since dial up days when AOL first started (selling simple "physical" reports on their boards along with prodigy and earthlink spam lol). That's a loooooong time. And the internet still amazes me. It's like your personal window to ANYWHERE in the world and an instant connection to ANY kind of knowledge, research and data that you could possibly imagine.

It really baffles my mind how so many people struggle making money online... I think it's an entrepreneurs dream come true. It's like falling into a money pit every day. You can also test pretty much anything you want for pennies. Lyman would have a field day with that.
01-02-2016, 01:15 PM
RE: [GET] What a Way to Live and Make a Living: The Lyman P. Wood Story Roger M. Grif...
(12-29-2015 11:15 AM)NonConformer Wrote:  
(12-29-2015 10:11 AM)thedrizzle Wrote:  Amazing book, got it in paperback when I saw you mention it in another thread, really fueled the desire within. Makes you think - if old Lyman was doing all this back when there were no computers, how much would he be killing it now?
Excellent!

Yeah, he would be quietly raking it in online for sure. He would love it for the niche research alone.

I've been running various online businesses since dial up days when AOL first started (selling simple "physical" reports on their boards along with prodigy and earthlink spam lol). That's a loooooong time. And the internet still amazes me. It's like your personal window to ANYWHERE in the world and an instant connection to ANY kind of knowledge, research and data that you could possibly imagine.

It really baffles my mind how so many people struggle making money online... I think it's an entrepreneurs dream come true. It's like falling into a money pit every day. You can also test pretty much anything you want for pennies. Lyman would have a field day with that.

NonConformer you are exactly right in your observations and opinions, which is pretty much the case all of the time- Thank you for just this little bit of inspiration alone, and I am looking forward to plowing through this book! (No pun intended...)
01-04-2016, 07:37 PM (This post was last modified: 01-06-2016 12:02 AM by SoloPreneur.)
SIR Prof. Dr. NonConformer Thanks for this book at my request, I'd forgotten about it...

Have no idea how you managed to get the PDF, as its ONLY available in hardcopy...I think?Lol

Anyway downloaded it and read it over the new years holidays!

REVIEW:

In a nutshell, boys and girls...Read it!

It IS that good, Its an EASY quick read as it's in biography format...

The book reinforces a lot direct response stuff you should be well aware of if you study the likes of Gary Halbert etc., etc...

I have swiped one of Lyman's TOP pulling headlines for an ongoing project, so that in itself was worth the read of this brilliant book.

Enjoyed the story about the 'Lucky' rabbits foot project!

Oh and Lyman's ... 3 ford direct response letters, These letters made direct marketing history!

Morsey (Marketing big wig at ford) said, "You know, I spend $2 million on a TV program and nobody calls me up. I don't hear from anybody. Then I send out a few lousy letters and get swamped."

Brings back memories when I used to do offline consulting and dealing with these dunderhead's in corporations!

When will these corporate dunderhead's get it and understand that Direct Response Marketing is the QUEEN in the chess-game of business.

Mirror:
Code:
http://www.mediafire.com/download/cuektqzbdx529cn/
58.gif
''Properly Exploited...One Good Idea That Occurs To You While Walking On The Beach Is Worth More Than 10 Lifetimes Of Hard Work!''
~Gary Halbert~ R.I.P
01-05-2016, 02:35 AM
RE: [GET] What a Way to Live and Make a Living: The Lyman P. Wood Story Roger M. Griffith [1 eBook (PDF)]
Very nice book to read if you want to improve your copy writing skills. This guy has done so much in the field.

It is easy to read and well worth the download to grab some of the wisdom he has acquired in his many years of doing Direct Response Marketing.

If you are attempting to sell or market any type of products or services, you will find some great ideas inside of this little gem.

Big Thanks again to NonConformer for another great share.

G.S.
Consistency builds momentum... And that’s how dreams become a reality.
01-05-2016, 03:23 AM
Appreciate the up.

Can I ask you guys what a is a good book/course on advertising but for ads?
01-05-2016, 03:37 AM
I'll read this acclaimed and highly-recommended resource and find out how I could get myself to get into a huge pit of money. He knows more than I do and most anyone in the internet.

Thanks for this valuable share!!! Thanks
01-05-2016, 06:31 AM
(01-05-2016 03:23 AM)mangoman Wrote:  Appreciate the up.

You didn't say specifically what kind of advertising, but for fundamentals and an education I'd start with:

How to Write a Good Advertisement - Victor Schwab
How To Get Rich In Mail Order - Melvin Powers
Making Money With Classified Ads - Melvin Powers

All three are on here already.

I'd also suggest you read my thread titled "4 Copywriting Books That Can Make You Rich"
01-06-2016, 12:08 AM
(01-05-2016 06:31 AM)NonConformer Wrote:  
(01-05-2016 03:23 AM)mangoman Wrote:  Appreciate the up.

You didn't say specifically what kind of advertising, but for fundamentals and an education I'd start with:

How to Write a Good Advertisement - Victor Schwab
How To Get Rich In Mail Order - Melvin Powers
Making Money With Classified Ads - Melvin Powers

All three are on here already.

I'd also suggest you read my thread titled "4 Copywriting Books That Can Make You Rich"

SIR Prof. Dr. NonConformer

Cor blimey when I saw you mention the two Melvin Powers books, I immediately had to have a search for them on this forum, however can't find them...?

Anyway cos Melvin Powers (RIP) is another one of those RARE real doers from the past, I just HAD to spend a bit of time searching the net...and came up with a bundle of his materials!

Get em here!
http://bestblackhatforum.com/Thread-GET-...pid1557681
41.gif
''Properly Exploited...One Good Idea That Occurs To You While Walking On The Beach Is Worth More Than 10 Lifetimes Of Hard Work!''
~Gary Halbert~ R.I.P

18.gif