23.gif

Search (advanced search)
Use this Search form before posting, asking or make a new thread.
Tips: Use Quotation mark to search words (eg. "How To Make Money Online")

04-14-2016, 09:34 PM (This post was last modified: 04-14-2016 09:40 PM by KeepFilesAlive.)
[GET] Doberman Dan , Ben Settle and Glenn Livingston talk about Gary Halbert 's failures and how he handled them (pdf).

Didn't found anything about it in the forum, so said to my self "let's share something on this controversial and important topic"

"Success has a thousand fathers but failure is an orphan." (Gary Halbert, "zjlk_personal_computer.htm" letter)

" Doberman Dan: The biggest lesson I learned from Gary Halbert was this lesson on failure.

Seeing him “fail” with that ad made me realize something.

First of all, for about four to five years when Gary first started copywriting and got into direct response marketing and mail order, he told me about this. He said project after project, sales letter after sales letter that he wrote just completely bombed, just failure after failure after failure, not even a base hit.
A base hit is like you got kind of a decent response.

Maybe you didn’t break even.

We can tweak that and maybe improve that and get that performing better, but with complete bombs, it’s just time to drop them. That’s what happened to him time after time after time for at least four to five years.

He would be thinking, “I’ve got a great piece. This is going to do awesome,” and him taking utility money to pay for printing and stamps, and dropping those letters in the mailbox and sitting there in a dark house a week later waiting for the orders to come in so he could pay his electric bill, because he spent the money on stamps – orders that never came in.

(...)

The amount of intestinal fortitude it takes to do that is incredible.
First of all, most people never get started, period.

They just simply don’t have the balls to get off the couch and do something. Those that do something, most of them, the first little obstacle they come across or the first failure that they have, it’s, “Oh my god, I failed, I lost money. Woe is me,” and they quit.

Halbert persisted time after time after time for five years.

There is some sort of law of the universe. It’s almost like the universe tests you, “You think you really want this, huh? You think you really want to be successful? You know what, we’re going to see.”
(...)

I asked Gary that when he was telling me about this. I said, “So what was your first project that you had a little bit of success with?” You know what that was? It was... "

link to the whole interview with Ben Settle
Magic Button :
Code:
http://www.mediafire.com/download/p47optt3pjys477/Doberman-Dan-Halbert-Lessons-Transcript.pdf

" (...) they say you shouldn't meet your heroes.

I mean Halbert was a hero of mine.

I believed all the stuff in his newsletter which he wrote, which was true. The thing is, he even admitted it that guys in his position as a copywriter or a guru or whatever you want to call it,earned itself aggrandizement business.

The only stuff he cared about is their successes.

You hardly ever hear about their failures.

Glenn:Right.

Dan: Working with him, I got to see the failures.
I'm not saying it was a bad thing.

It was a very good thing. But he went from like being a hero, from being up on that pedestal, to being a normal person again.

Seeing him fail, see that his failure ratewas about equal to mine and most other experienced marketing copywriting people was a huge lesson that...

... he had his failures like all of us.

Most of the stuff he came up with didn't work or a good percentage but... "

link to the whole interview with Glenn Livingston
Magic Button :
Code:
https://www.mediafire.com/?tkuq4qig4a23b0d

(sorry to double post, but I couldn't find the "edit" buttom

If you find value in this post, help the three:

1st. Help yourself.
Apply what you learn for your benefit.
Ask what you can't answer googleing it

2nd. Help others.
Make mirrors.
Share a review.

3rd. Help me.
Say thanks.
I appreciate your reps.
04-15-2016, 04:20 AM
RE: [GET] Doberman Dan , Ben Settle and Glenn Livingston talk about Gary Halbert 's failures and how he handled them (pdf).
Thanks for share

Add +rep
04-15-2016, 08:05 AM (This post was last modified: 04-15-2016 08:06 AM by Sasquatch.)
RE: [GET] Doberman Dan , Ben Settle and Glenn Livingston talk about Gary Halbert 's failures and how he handled them (pdf).
Thanks OP. This looks like it will be a very interesting story to learn from.

I prefer listing to reading, any chance you have the MP3 file that is mentioned in the PDF? It says that it is free "below" but the only link on the page is not for the MP3.

Thanks either way. Reps+
04-15-2016, 02:47 PM
Just added max reps- I probably have seen these interviews somewhere, maybe buried on a long-lost hard-drive, but thank you for resurrecting them- I love Gary Halbert stories- Thanks again!
04-16-2016, 07:23 AM
RE: [GET] Doberman Dan , Ben Settle and Glenn Livingston talk about Gary Halbert 's fa...
thanks @fsobra @Sasquatch and @Theo1 for the reps!

(04-15-2016 08:05 AM)Sasquatch Wrote:  Thanks OP. This looks like it will be a very interesting story to learn from.

I prefer listing to reading, any chance you have the MP3 file that is mentioned in the PDF? It says that it is free "below" but the only link on the page is not for the MP3.

Thanks either way. Reps+

Thanks for asking.

We are lucky! I found it, so I could listen too

I've found also some bullets to share about the interview:

in this full length interview with Dan all about things like…

The “Potato Box” Secret: Gary’s truly weird way of incubating million dollar ideas…

Why Copy Really Isn’t All That Important: amazing but true, and I agreed with him once he explained it…

WARNING: Your Response Rate and Refund Rate Don’t Really Matter Either: I agreed with him on this too!…

What It Was Really Like Being Tortured by Gary Halbert on a Daily Basis: and why Dan aggressively pursued ever more contact with Gary even though he’s NOT a massochist

The “incubation and assimilation” secret to finding the right story and constructing the right offer

direct mp3 link
Magic Button :
Code:
http://glennpsy.s3.amazonaws.com/Doberman-Dan-Living-With-Halbert.mp3

blog post of the interview
Magic Button :
Code:
http://payperclicksearchmarketing.com/what-was-gary-halbert-like-drunk-mp3/

---

Livingston talks in the interview about a book, "Making Things Better by Making Them Worse“: (Alan Fay).
He has also written a list of "5 Unusual Books Every Marketer Should Read"
Magic Button :
Code:
http://payperclicksearchmarketing.com/5-unusual-books-every-marketer-should-read/

I've found one of them: “Cats Cradle” (Kurt Vonnegut).
http://bestblackhatforum.com/Thread-GET-...Livingston

If someone can find and any of the other four (“Making Things Better by Making Them Worse“: (Alan Fay) “Rational Recovery“ (Jack Trimpney), "A Journey Through Your Childhood" (Christopher Biffle), "Neurotic Styles" (David Shapiro)) please share them.
55.gif

82.gif