75.gif

Search (advanced search)
Use this Search form before posting, asking or make a new thread.
Tips: Use Quotation mark to search words (eg. "How To Make Money Online")

09-28-2014, 07:41 PM
Anyone with autoplaying video on their site should be shot
No! really!

This is one of the most offensive things you could ever have on your website.

I occasionally build websites for clients, and while I have been asked, I refuse on principle to have autoplaying videos or music.

There are so many reasons why this is wrong. Noise, bandwidth (not all of us are in countries with unlimited plans). Noise.

Worse, all these autoplaying videos have elevated volumes too.

The minute any autoplaying video starts on any tab I have open, I close that tab, and 127.0.0.1 that website in my hostfile. Another customer lost.

I have tried, and Firefox (my primary browser), on Linux (my primary OS), does not have the option to globally disable this. Plus, I normally have music playing in the background as I work, so I cannot mute the entire computer. Oh yeah, I have (at the moment) 537 (and that's not a typo), tabs open in Firefox, across 13 Tab Groups, so trying to find the offending tab is not always trivial, hence the drastic 127.0.0.1 treatment. And no, until Chrome plays nicer with lots of tabs, I am not switching!

If I was ever a serial killer though, I think I would definitely start with owners of sites with autoplaying video and audio. Let it not be said I did not warn them. Hahahaha

42.gif
Free counters!