65.gif

Search (advanced search)
Use this Search form before posting, asking or make a new thread.
Tips: Use Quotation mark to search words (eg. "How To Make Money Online")

06-06-2016, 09:54 AM
running WAMP on windows VPS
is this a good idea for running my web sites? i want a windows VPS to run some windows blackhat programs so i might as well use it to run my sites on it instead of buying another VPS.
06-13-2016, 02:08 AM
RE: running WAMP on windows VPS
It's not necessarily a BAD idea. Since you have the windows vps already, why not take advantage and install/setup the full IIS package?

If that's not an option, or not something you're comfortable or familiar using, some fairly important points to make sure you're at least as safe as you can be.. Before we even start, If WAMP is your choice of a server stack, MAKE SURE IIS IS UNINSTALED!
Tips:
1. Install EMET (a utility that helps prevent vulnerabilities in software from being successfully exploited. EMET achieves this goal by using security mitigation technologies.)
2. Disable all protocols except TCP/IPv4 from your outward facing Ethernet
3. Make sure User Access Control is on.
4. Have an antivirus installed (ClamAV works, and although its not active AV, the on-demand functionality of Malwarebytes Free should work)
5. Always run that firewall!
6. Run any/all public services using a non-elevated account (in other words, run Apache using a plain user account, NOT the admin account!)

Again, I'd suggest taking advantage of IIS, but its not mandatory. In any case, running WAMP (or IIS) will lower the overal performance of your VPS (and of course, the performance of your website!), so it's up to you if it's worth it or not to invest in a 2nd VPS.

Good luck, hit me up if you need any extra help
07-07-2016, 10:01 PM
RE: running WAMP on windows VPS
Thanks for your advice. It helped. If WAMP will slow down my sites then i guess i'll use another VPS to run the windows programs (found a couple cheap, quality vps hosts) and run my sites with a free trial on amazon AWS using linux.

13.gif