24.gif

Search (advanced search)
Use this Search form before posting, asking or make a new thread.
Tips: Use Quotation mark to search words (eg. "How To Make Money Online")

05-02-2018, 07:39 AM
Stole vehicle and Damage
Hello,
My friend and I were walking past a construction truck and it had the keys in it. So later that night, we decided to take it for a test drive. I got in the thing and it had no power. I was like this thing sucks, I'm done. My friend says I want to drive, I say okay go ahead. So he starts driving and says watch this. He hits a mailbox and damages the vehicle. Now I'm feeling a bit guilty about the incident. I wanted just to see how fast it would go, but it went up to about 60 miles an hour (And that was about it). My idiot friend on the other hand damaged the vehicle. Now I'm feeling a bit guilty and thinking or trying to find out whose truck it was. But the problem is it was 23 years ago. Should I feel guilty about this and let it eat away at me. Any feedback would be great!
05-24-2018, 08:47 AM
RE: Stole vehicle and Damage
23 years ago? Wow! you are harboring some long repressed memories...

Speedy construction truck + mailbox = bye bye mailbox (unless it was a rugged cast iron one).

While I am NOT suggesting an approach to take, some thoughts on your predicament:
- Digging up the past could lead to lot of hardship - financially and socially (if the damage was serious enough owner had filed a complaint)
- Not digging up the past could lead to lot of hardship - ethically and mentally (frustration of not knowing what happened eating away at the conscience)

If it would have snowballed into something major, you would have got to know of it in the local media/newspapers 23 years ago.

Time heals wounds. Would it be acceptable (to your conscience) to allow the owner to relive the experience?

You need to look at what do you want to achieve by digging up the past - Peace of mind? Righting a wrong? Compensating the owner for damages?

Cheers,
FFFF
05-25-2018, 06:50 PM
hello,
Thanks for the feedback. Well I have done well with some investments so have more capital. So reimbursing the owner wouldn't be a problem.

My problem is, I contacted the local paper and the records only go back a number of years. I have looked at paid newspaper sites and they don't have my paper. I have contacted both the local police and Sheriff under an alias. They don't of records going back that far. There is no legal liability. It appears. My last resort is to place an ad in the paper.. Maybe the owner would see it. But I don't know about that
05-27-2018, 04:33 AM
So, the statute of limitations has run out for the same.

If you are planning to put out an ad in the paper, it would be wise to put the minimum of details in the same (to filter out gold-diggers looking for a quick buck).

An additional possibility would be to donate a generous sum to say, the local accident victims welfare fund, or similar or volunteer your time for the same.

Cheers,
FFFF

63.gif