76.gif

Poll: What would be your VOTE?
Yes, Remove the thanks to unlock button to speed up our server somehow.
No, Please do not remove the thanks to unlock button because that what makes BBHF unique above all
[Show Results]
Note: This is a public poll, other users will be able to see what you voted for.
Search (advanced search)
Use this Search form before posting, asking or make a new thread.
Tips: Use Quotation mark to search words (eg. "How To Make Money Online")

08-07-2013, 08:27 AM (This post was last modified: 08-07-2013 08:30 AM by Medow.)
RE:
First of all , not every body can handle the cost of VIP status, there so many peoples here who find there first step here on BBHF to get some revenue on the web and once they make a decent money i am sure they will buy a VIP subscription because we all knew that we will find a more value production on private sections.

Going back to thanks button, if the thanks button doesn't stop leecher before then butting thanks button or removing it will not make a deferent (At the end it was just a button i can click and get the good stuff). There for a vote for removing thanks button because at the last forum speed quality is matter more than any thing.

BBHF is going to be number 1 for webmaster and as shawn hogan does when he changed his forum to xenforo for the seek of his forum and his member i think it will be better that BBHF admin can do what best for his forum and his member.

Just my 2 cents.

Regards form former BBHF leecher which change to BBHF lover.
08-07-2013, 08:48 AM
RE:
I think it's better not replaced by POST to unlock
because, I see this making a thread is not up to date and also not running a serious discussion Because a lot of comments that just want to unlock to view a post

maybe change it with "POST COUNT"
so the thread can be read by a user who has a certain number of posts
ex:
Code:
[postcount = 20] bla .. bla ... [/ postcount]

or

[postcount = xxx] bla .. bla ... [/ postcount]

sorry my english is BAD Blush Verysad
Quote:
+rep if thread Help You
08-07-2013, 09:18 AM
RE:
Moving from "thanks to unlock" to "post to unlock" will not really solve the database problem.

Posting also queries the database so now the speed will stay the same... if not worse... because now you have the added "post text to database" + "query to unlock" and if you are the 10th or 15th member to post you will land on page 2. The database gets queried again to take you back to page one to read the original post. Result.... slower load times.

The posting to unlock will also cause huge amounts of SPAM and server "stress". If you are following a thread to find out more info you then have to scan 20 to 30 pages of posts to find an answer or a solution.

Leeching will take over as post counts rise with all the "thank you" posts.

People who do post and share will get no recognition for their efforts.

Solutions? Maybe....
  • Move forum from MyBB to vbulletin . New License is $249 (open donations for purchasing of new license)
  • Leave "freebies" section where it is but remove "thanks to unlock" for VIP`s and Contributors. (Reviewers don`t really fall in the same category)
  • Remove member`s advertisements from posts (especially image adds)
  • mmmmmm......
  • ... still thinking about other possible solutions....
"The difference between genius and stupidity... genius has its limits"
Albert Einstein
08-07-2013, 09:18 AM
RE:
Post to unlock is a very bad idea - it will clutter up the threads and make it terribly difficult to find updates, added information like oto's etc.

But I support removing the thank button if that is what it takes.
08-07-2013, 09:52 AM
RE:
It is OUR RESPONSIBILITY to speed up the board!

We all like to put things in Freebies to get lots of Thanks from non-paying users. Look at any post and most of the Thanks are from non paid users. You can see how many VIP thanks there are vs paid users there are.
I know it sounds mean, but it is the huge number of non-paid users hitting Thanks that is slowing down the board.
If I were coming to the board now, I would not pay. There is no reason to pay.
When I joined most of the good content was in the VIP section. There are crickets chirping in the VIP section these day. Why should anyone pay?
I paid and half the time I give up and leave it is too slow.
Hitting Thanks in the Freebie section is NOT stopping lechers. When I leave here I go to other forums and the shares are already there. Our poster leeched them or a lecher took them over.
67.gif
08-07-2013, 10:21 AM
RE:
Looking forward to see it remove. I still have more VIP stuffs to share here. Remove the thanks but guys please do not forget the rep+ button Smile
08-07-2013, 10:23 AM
RE:
(08-07-2013 09:18 AM)Seve69 Wrote:  Moving from "thanks to unlock" to "post to unlock" will not really solve the database problem.

Posting also queries the database so now the speed will stay the same... if not worse... because now you have the added "post text to database" + "query to unlock" and if you are the 10th or 15th member to post you will land on page 2. The database gets queried again to take you back to page one to read the original post. Result.... slower load times.

The posting to unlock will also cause huge amounts of SPAM and server "stress". If you are following a thread to find out more info you then have to scan 20 to 30 pages of posts to find an answer or a solution.

Leeching will take over as post counts rise with all the "thank you" posts.

People who do post and share will get no recognition for their efforts.

Solutions? Maybe....
  • Move forum from MyBB to vbulletin . New License is $249 (open donations for purchasing of new license)
  • Leave "freebies" section where it is but remove "thanks to unlock" for VIP`s and Contributors. (Reviewers don`t really fall in the same category)
  • Remove member`s advertisements from posts (especially image adds)
  • mmmmmm......
  • ... still thinking about other possible solutions....
I totally agree. Post To Unlock is not a better solution. I prefer the thanks as it gives the member who share some recognition, like reps. may i ask what is server configuration? is forum runs on nginx/Mariadb(especially XtraDB or InnoDB engines). do you use any cache solution for posts like varnish etc. i recommend that we pay an expert optimize the server software/Database.
i also like the idea of no hidden link for members with high post count(beside VIP , ...) IF members don't allowed to post something like "re-up" or "thanks" so that posts don't get spammed.

just my 2 cent.

Take Action
08-07-2013, 11:14 AM
RE:
I remove the thanks button. No need to hide the content.
Please disregard also what i mention on my 1st post that i will implement post to unlock content as you guys were totally correct that it will just make our forum messy with spammy post.

I am testing the speed now and it run smoothly now.
08-07-2013, 11:29 AM
RE:
Here's the comparison of the debugging results.

=====================================================
Debugging Results: Thanks button to UNLOCK was ACTIVE
=====================================================
#######################################################################
http://bestblackhatforum.com/index.php
Generated in 1.8436120 seconds (10.12% PHP / 89.88% MySQL)
SQL Queries: 12 / Global Parsing Time: 1.7076640 / Memory Usage: 15 MB
PHP version: 5.3.21 / Server Load: 4.89 / GZip Compression: Enabled

http://bestblackhatforum.com/Forum-Freebies
Generated in 0.5530539 seconds (35.40% PHP / 64.60% MySQL)
SQL Queries: 35 / Global Parsing Time: 0.0884490 / Memory Usage: 15.25 MB
PHP version: 5.3.21 / Server Load: 5.96 / GZip Compression: Enabled

http://bestblackhatforum.com/Thread-GET-...st-is-HUGE
Generated in 24.4906828 seconds (4.00% PHP / 96.00% MySQL)
SQL Queries: 111 / Global Parsing Time: 0.1554549 / Memory Usage: 15 MB
PHP version: 5.3.21 / Server Load: 5.9 / GZip Compression: Enabled
########################################################################

===========================================================
Debugging Results: Thanks button to UNLOCK was DEACTIVATED
===========================================================
http://bestblackhatforum.com/index.php
Generated in 0.1295788 seconds (93.28% PHP / 6.72% MySQL)
SQL Queries: 16 / Global Parsing Time: 0.0457768 / Memory Usage: 15 MB
PHP version: 5.3.21 / Server Load: 0.14 / GZip Compression: Enabled

http://bestblackhatforum.com/Forum-Freebies
Generated in 0.2184191 seconds (56.97% PHP / 43.03% MySQL)
SQL Queries: 36 / Global Parsing Time: 0.0510061 / Memory Usage: 15.25 MB
PHP version: 5.3.21 / Server Load: 0.14 / GZip Compression: Enabled

http://bestblackhatforum.com/Thread-GET-...st-is-HUGE
Generated in 0.4966872 seconds (97.33% PHP / 2.67% MySQL)
SQL Queries: 44 / Global Parsing Time: 0.0436761 / Memory Usage: 13.75 MB
PHP version: 5.3.21 / Server Load: 0.21 / GZip Compression: Enabled

Notice that when running on index.php and forumdisplay.php yields the same results exactly.
But when users/members are visiting now in any of the threads.
The loading issue is being affected.
One of the thread i tested with having a large number of members who press thanks button took me 24.4906828 seconds
But now when the thanks button to unlock was deactivated visiting the same thread i visited before only took 0.4966872 seconds
What a big difference we got here. ( 24.4906828 seconds - 0.4966872 seconds )

Now my time to ask an apology that i have to disable the thanks to unlock button,
Rest assured that your effort in contributing here in BBHF won't go to waste despite the fact that thanks to unlock button was removed. There is still rep+ button. But in the end of the day that was just statistic..
What matter most is the dedication that we still have lot of members here who are dedicated to share.
I have to thank you guys from the bottom of my heart.

I'll see to it that i will continue to keep this forum more active and I'll continue to let the world know that BBHF will always be the BEST of the BEST no matter what happen. We've gone lot of troubles and difficulties but still we remain to be solid and united.
This will not be possible with me alone. This was been made possible because of you guys and gals.
Again i have to thank you from the buttom of my heart. Heart Love Cool
08-07-2013, 12:37 PM
RE:
I agree with Losille completely, I think all of us VIP's when sharing ANYTHING from now on, should be shared in the VIP sections. Because the only reason we were sharing in the "freebies" was to get our thanks and reps up, so now since there is no point, we should contribute more to the VIP sections, therefore the freebie seekers/leechers will want to cough up a measly $50 bucks lifetime. Just my 2 cents

Oh and I'm not saying that the rest of the VIPs don't rep or thanks, I'm saying we are the majority of people who do that still. Also I love how much the speed of this forum has increased dramatically. So my vote was yes! Man I love this forum.
39.gif
[Image: nPaFfhJ.gif]

60.gif