37.gif

Search (advanced search)
Use this Search form before posting, asking or make a new thread.
Tips: Use Quotation mark to search words (eg. "How To Make Money Online")

09-20-2014, 09:46 PM
Hide The Real Download Link, Is This Possible?
I'm just wondering if there's a way to hide real download links in wordpress

For example "www.realdomainname.com/downloadfile=2313223" to "www.customdomainname.com/ascxzcsd" or anything like that.

I'm not talking about URL shortener like TinyURL and Bitly coz it still reveals the real download link when the user access the download tab (chrome://downloads/).

I have looked online a bit and a lot of answers talk about PHP files

Any info would be great
09-21-2014, 12:17 AM
RE:
Wondering the same thing...
09-21-2014, 12:18 AM
RE:
I've been wondering the same thing... and I have not found an answer either.
09-21-2014, 01:57 AM
RE:
You can't change the hostname. The only way to create a link like in your example is to redirect from another domain. And to hide the actual file you'd have to create an encrypted link. So basically a two step process for every link you create.

However, if you just want to mask the file location, you can place the file outside of your root directory and then use a plugin like these to create an encrypted link to it:
https://wordpress.org/plugins/easy-digital-downloads/

If you are posting files for members who are set as a subscriber role in wordpress, you can use something like this:
https://wordpress.org/plugins/download-protect/

Those are just two examples off the top of my head, there are MANY similar plugins.
09-21-2014, 01:15 PM
RE:
You can't change domain. If you're trying to link shaky downloads (like ... stuff ...), better get new domain from different registrar and hosting service to cover your a**!

Standard selling? (free or paid)
Use - WooCommerce or Easy Digital Downloads plugins
They can mask your download link. Don't touch WooCommerce if you don't have time to tune it. Better go with EDD because it's quite easy to play around and kinda out-of-the-box plugin for digital product sellers. Save your time - don't touch WooCommerce if you aren't intending to sell or giveaway tangible products.

Membership?
Use - WPMU DEV Membership or WP eMember Plugin
I'd recommend to use WPMU DEV Membership. Take little bit time to understand but it's really worth when you get whole story how to tame that plugin. It can mask download link in two ways (if I'm correct) - Standard and Hybrid modes: depends of hosting server setup. I don't like WP eMember IMHO. It's quite overwhelming and needs lots of tweaks to match with theme.
63.gif
09-25-2014, 09:49 AM
RE:
After a lot of searching I finally grabbed Linklok URL seems to do the trick.

Only downside to the script is if you keep your files on a remote server it drains your bandwidth
09-26-2014, 11:39 AM
RE:
No, it's much easier than that.

Add Product. Upload file to product. Save product.

Then edit the download location to the absolute path to the file on the server. If the URL is say, http://www.bob.com/downloads/file1.zip and your website is in /home/bob/www/ you would change the file location to be /home/bob/www/downloads/file1.zip

You could even put the files outside of the webroot, such as in /home/bob/downloads/ and then reference that for even more file hiding security.

Simple stuff. :)

Alex A.
09-26-2014, 08:59 PM
RE:
(09-26-2014 11:39 AM)PooAlexa Wrote:  No, it's much easier than that.

Add Product. Upload file to product. Save product.

Then edit the download location to the absolute path to the file on the server. If the URL is say, http://www.bob.com/downloads/file1.zip and your website is in /home/bob/www/ you would change the file location to be /home/bob/www/downloads/file1.zip

You could even put the files outside of the webroot, such as in /home/bob/downloads/ and then reference that for even more file hiding security.

Simple stuff. :)

Alex A.
Only problem is I store my files on another server so doing that is not possible

45.gif