59.gif

Search (advanced search)
Use this Search form before posting, asking or make a new thread.
Tips: Use Quotation mark to search words (eg. "How To Make Money Online")

09-10-2015, 09:10 PM
A business idea - but slightly unethical?
I've got a business idea. I've designed websites for local businesses before, so it doesn't take me long to design a good looking website.

I've recently been looking for a kitchen fitter in my area, and I can't believe how many of them don't have even a basic website. They are all sole traders and many just use their name rather than a business name.

If I bought their name in a domain name (e.g JohnSmithKitchens or similar), designed a website and then contacted them and asked them to buy or rent it off me, is this a bit unethical? If they refused then I would just put the site on maintenance, if they wanted it I would add photographs of recent work, contact details, SEO etc.

If they didn't want it, it means I own their domain name, and could sell it to them at a later date.

I could obviously even localise the domain names - e.g. JohnSmithKitchensEdgbaston as well - would that be a better way to do this.

Your thoughts would be appreciated. Sorry, I'm new to all this!
09-15-2015, 02:49 PM
RE: A business idea - but slightly unethical?
I think you might piss a lot of them off to be honest. They've never had a website before so they already feel like they didn't need one (probably), and you're kinda registering one in their name, they might even have grounds to take it offline if it's very similar to their company name.
I'd think if you were looking to generate income this way, you might be more successful just reaching out to them saying you noticed they didn't have an online presence, throw some stats how being online increases customer base 3,000% or something and see how it works.
Maybe you could try building a site ranking it and selling leads?
Or try it out and let us know how you get on :)
09-15-2015, 02:56 PM
RE: A business idea - but slightly unethical?
You might rub people up the wrong way by trying this method.
If they're not online at this stage, they might just not see any value in it. Maybe reach out and hit them with some stats how having an online presence increases customers by 500% or whatever.
Or maybe try building and ranking a site then selling leads on it to the highest bidder?

43.gif